August 11, 2022
  • August 11, 2022

Filing Cultivated Acreage Reports with USDA

By on June 24, 2022 0

FINGER LAKES — New York agricultural producers who have not yet completed their post-planting crop acreage reports should schedule an appointment with their United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Services Agency (FSA) service center. United States (USDA) before the applicable deadline.

“Many USDA programs require growers to file an accurate crop acreage report by the applicable deadlines,” said New York State Executive Director Jim Barber. “Once planting is complete, call your local FSA office to make an appointment and report your acreage. Our FSA staff can help growers complete acreage reports, including providing maps. »

An acreage report documents a crop grown on a farm and its intended uses. Filing an accurate and timely acreage report for all crops and land uses, including failed acreage and prevented planted acreage, can prevent loss of benefits.

How to file a report

The following acreage reporting dates apply in New York:● July 15, 2022 – Corn, soybeans, spring-planted small grains, and most other crops, including CRP and cover crops● August 15, 2022 – Cabbage and beans

Acreage reporting dates vary by crop and county. Contact your local FSA office for a list of acreage reporting deadlines by crop.

To file an Acreage Report, growers must provide:

● Crop and crop type or variety.

● Intended use of the culture.

● Number of acres of crop.

● Map with approximate crop boundaries.

● Planting date(s).

● Planting scheme, if applicable.

● Shares of producers.

● Irrigation practice(s).

● Area prohibited from planting, if applicable.

● Other information if necessary.

Area Report Details

The following exceptions apply to acreage reporting dates:

  1. If the crop has not been planted on the date of declaration of the area, it must be declared no later than 15 calendar days after the end of planting.

2. If a producer acquires additional acreage after the acreage reporting date, the acreage must be reported no later than 30 calendar days after purchase or lease acquisition. Proper documentation must be provided to the county office.

3. If crops are covered by the Uninsured Agricultural Disaster Assistance program, acreage reports must be submitted by the applicable state, county, or crop reporting deadline or 15 days calendars before the start of grazing or harvesting of the crop.

Growers must also report the acreage of crops they intended to plant, but were unable to due to a natural disaster due to a natural disaster.

Prevented planting acreage must be reported on Form CCC-576, Notice of Loss, no later than 15 calendar days after the final planting date established by the FSA and USDA Risk Management Agency.

FSA offers continuous certification for perennial forages. This means that once perennial forage has been declared once and the producer has chosen continuing certification, the certification remains in effect until a change is made. Check with the FSA at the local USDA service center for more information on continuing certification.

Farmers with an eAuth account linked to their USDA client record can now access their FSA farm records, maps, and common land units by logging into New functionality will allow growers to export field boundaries as shapefiles and import and view other shapefiles, such as precision agriculture boundaries. This will allow growers to view, print and label their own maps for acreage reporting purposes.

Producers who have authority to act on behalf of another customer as a beneficiary through Form FSA-211 Power of Attorney, Trading Partner Signing Authority, as well as other types of signatures, or as a member of a business can now access information on the portal.

Growers can schedule an appointment to report acres by contacting their local USDA Service Center.

Service Centers for Yates

The Farm Service Agency provides services related to loans, disaster relief programs, etc. The Office of Natural Resource Conservation Services provides services related to conservation programs and more. Please call for more information.

Bath service centerAgricultural Services Agency Office (607) 776-7398 Physical address415 W Morris St Bath, NY 14810-1038Get Directions Address415 West Morris St Bath, NY 14810-1038 ContactJamie Earl[email protected]
Penn Yan Service CenterNatural Resources Conservation Service Office Phone number not available Physical address270 Lake St Penn Yan, NY 14527-1815Get Directions AddressWest Area270 Lake StPenn Yan, NY 14527-1815 ContactJo Beth Bellanca[email protected]
Canandaigua Service CenterRural Development (585) 394-0525 ext. 4 Physical address3037 County Road 10 Canandaigua, NY 14424-8303Get Directions Address3037 County Road 10 Canandaigua, NY 14424-8303 ContactCynthia Newcomb[email protected]

The USDA touches the lives of all Americans every day in so many positive ways, transforming America’s food system with greater emphasis on more resilient local and regional food production, fairer markets for all producers, ensuring the access to safe, healthy and nutritious food in all communities, creating new markets and new sources of income for farmers and producers using climate-smart food and forestry practices, making historic investments in clean energy infrastructure and capacity in rural America, and committing to equity across the department by removing systemic barriers and creating a more representative America workforce . To learn more, visit